In my neck of the woods it doesn't snow very often. This last week we got snow. Mon, Tues, Wed were late starts (10am)for school. Then Thurs and Friday school was closed and Brad's work closed. I grew up in Utah. My childhood is filled with me playing out in many blissful winter snow days. I also grew up on a street that housed many old people. So I did a lot of shoveling.
The first day it snowed Lucy wanted to go out and play so she put on her flip flops and her sweater, and out she went. I was dressing Luke when she came back inside with a shocked look about her. I wonder why? I had one shoe on Luke and got up to find the other and get Lucy some real shoes, by the time I got back Luke was outside on the deck with one shoe just a bawling. Who's are these children?
In the afternoon I went out with Owen, Tom and Randy to the "hill" with two garbage can lids and a large deconstructed gift box, donated to us from Tom's Mom and two year old, Luke and four year old Lucy. Does that paint a picture of snow craved die hard people or what.
Looong story short. We had a blast. Well Tom, Randy, Owen and I had a blast. Luke wanted only to swing on the swings with his rain boots off. I'd put them on, he'd kick them off. Lucy had to go the bathroom so we had to go home. But, I successfully took Luke and Lucy down the hill. We stared out on a cardboard box (that's what they use around here) that was flatted out, but a yard down the hill we lost it, and kept going thanks to my husbands slippery pants I was wearing and the large steep hill we were going down. Luke laughed all the way. I held onto Lucy's ankle all the way down. I think she was trying to claw her way back up.
After dinner I went back out with the boys, cause it was getting dark and I just wanted to play. So get this. I swept the neighbors driveway (they were out that night), into little piles and would shovel the pile into the borrowed garbage can lid and carry it over to the boys, who needed more snow. I cleaned their whole driveway off. And yes, you read that correctly I don't own a shovel, so I improvised with a broom, and swept the driveway clean.
I had so much fun. I was able to watch three young boys all day... just be boys. Hear what they talked about. Laughed with them when they made armpit fart noises and call them "fart guns". Yeah that was a highlight. I bet every bit of them by the end of the night was wet and cold. Did they care? Heck no. All they could talk about was how their igloos were going to harden over night, and how to expand their igloo village.
My days are full of Mom duties. It was fun to watch the world through three young boys eyes. It was a fun night. We spent all day outside. I loved it. I miss the snow. Actually I miss a "real" snow fall. But I'm thankful for what I got, cause it was just enough to have fun. Not to mention two more days added on to our Christmas vacation.
I'll officially say for the record, Swimming and Playing in the snow are my all time favorite things to do.
P.S. My family is scattered all over the house. Lucy is my bed. Luke asleep on the couch. Brad asleep on the lg. couch. Jaeger is asleep at my feet in the computer room with his pillow and blanket. Owen is in his bed. Savanah is in her bed. Me, still on the computer.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



3 comments:
You should bring them to our house. Luke would be covered from head to toe in snow. The kids around here are having a blast. Of course, you shouldn't drive here because the roads are horrible!
I'm glad you guys got some snow. And I love that the kids had no idea how cold! it would be.
Your welcome to come sleding with us anytime.
I have to correct my previous post. It is you're, not your. Sooorrry!
Post a Comment